Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hospital Food

I recently was in the hospital for some surgery and once I was given the okay for solid food I gave the food service department a try. You always hear horror stories about how bad hospital food is, but in talking to patients of various hospitals it seems that the quality of the food has gotten better. This was not the case for me, at least with the sandwich I ordered. It was a Chicken Salad on whole wheat. I really can't say it was bad, but it could have been better, more flavorfull. For breakfast the next morning, I had a Ham and Cheese Omlet and I have to say, it was pretty good.

Oh, but that sandwich. Maybe it was because I like chicken salad so well, that I was disappointed. Below, I have put my recipe for chicken salad, that can also be found in my cookbook, Masters and Disasters of Cooking . Hmmm, maybe I should send it to the Food Service Department at the hospital.

Chicken Salad

1 1/2 C. cooked chicken, diced and chilled
1 C. mayonnaise
1 C. chopped celery
1 C. seedless grapes, sliced in half
1/2 C. almond slivers, optional
1 t. salt

In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients together. Chill. Serve on a bed of lettuce, or as a sandwich on bread or pita pockets. Makes about 10 servings.

3 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Great idea! Send it to all dietary people:)

How is 'What's Cooking' coming along? I'm anxious to read another excerpt:)

Molly Daniels said...

Also, glad you're out. Hope everything is okay.

Carol Preflatish said...

Thanks, Molly. You must mean "Kitchen Affair." It's been put on the back burner (no pun intended) for a bit while I work on another manuscript that was more complete. It's about a journalist who falls in love with a small town sheriff while investigating a 50 year old murder mystery in Indiana. I expect to work on Kitchen Affair after I finish one about the murder.

Carol