Sunday, November 14, 2010

Oven-fried Chicken

I have a quick and easy recipe for you today and it's also what I prepared for supper tonight. Mostly, because I am deep in writing my NaNoWriMo book and need to get back to it. If you want to know what I am talking about, or check my progress, visit my writing blog.

I like to call this recipe my one-oven meal because you fix everyone in the oven at the same time. It's Oven-fried Chicken with baked potato. I like to fix this often on Sunday because I can start it at half-time of the football game and it will usually be done around the end of the game. By baking the potatoes right along with the chicken, you have everything you need in one oven. When I prepare the chicken, sometimes I take the skin off and sometimes I don't. It depends on my mood. Either way is terrific.

Oven-fried Chicken

1 chicken, cut up into pieces
Baking mix, such as Bisquick
Mrs. Dash original seasoning
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400°f. I use a broiling pan that allows the juices to drain from the chicken. In a shallow pan, combine the baking mix, Mrs. Dash seasoning, salt and pepper. Depending on how healthy you want to make this, sometimes I dip the chicken into a mixture of beaten egg and milk and then roll the pieces in the baking mix. At other times, I rinse the chicken with water and then roll in the the baking mix. Place the coated pieces onto the broiling pan and place into the oven. Roll the potatoes up in aluminum foil and place on oven rack next to the chicken. Bake for one hour, and then serve.

Extra hint: When I use the egg and milk mixture, I give the leftover mixture to our cat. He loves it and it helps make his coat shiny.

No comments: