Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Not-So-Perfect Cookie

Like so many other people, it seems like I'm always trying a new diet to lose weight. When the Low-Carb diets first became popular, I decided to give it a try. Being one who loves recipes, someone told me about a low-carb peanut butter cookie recipe. I immediately thought my diet problem was solved. I could eat the cookies to satisfy my sweet tooth and still lose weight. It might have worked, except for the fact that the cookies were terrible.

When I took them out of the oven, they looked and smelled great. But, when I removed them from the cookie sheet, they looked like they weren't going to stay together. I got them on the plate in one piece to cool, but later, when I tried to pick one up, it crumbled. So did the next one and the next one. I gave up trying to keep one together and tasted the crumbs. It was bad, so bad that I scraped the remaining cookies off the plate and into the trash can. That was a first for me.

So much for my perfect diet. I did lose weight on that diet, but it was without any desserts. I no longer have that low-carb recipe. I think it went into the trash with the cookie crumbs. Instead, I have included my favorite peanut butter cookie recipe; full of carbs.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 C. shortening
1/2 C. peanut butter
1/2 C. granulated sugar
1/2 C. brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
1 1/4 C. flour
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda

Cream shortening, peanut butter, and sugar well. Add egg and vanilla. Beat well. Add shifted dry ingredients and mix well. Chill dough well. Then, form into small balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork, making a crisscross pattern. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes.

No comments: