Saturday, January 17, 2009

Coffee, Anyone?

My name is Carol and I'm a coffee-holic. Okay, I'm not really that bad, but I love to start my work day by enjoying a cup or two of coffee or cappuccino at my desk in the mornings.

It really wasn't that long ago that I was completely clueless the first time I was at a Starbucks. It was at the LAX airport waiting to fly home after visiting with a friend. We stopped at a Starbucks for a cup of coffee and I had no idea what to order. Espresso, Cappuccino, Latte. What do I do?

Then, I remember the television show Frazier. They ordered lattes on there. "I'll have a latte," I told the Barista, not having a clue about what I had exactly ordered.



Let's talk ab out the differences. Basically, espresso is a strong, dar coffee brewed under pressure in an espresso machine. Steam is forced through the ground beans for only 20-30 seconds. The term refers to the brewing method rather than the roast or the beans.



Cappuccino is equal amounts of coffee and steamed milk usually topped with a frothy milk. To make the foamy top, warm 1 cup low-fat milk over medium heat until hot, but not boiling. Always use low-fat milk because milk with a higher fat content doesn't foam as well. Pour the hot milk into a blender or food processor and blend until foamy. Top the coffee with the foamy milk and sprinkle with cinnamon. Many coffee shops serve a variety of flavored cappuccinos. One of my favorites is Starbucks Peppermint Mocha.

A latte is one part coffee or espresso to four parts steamed milk and is usually served with a dollop of foamed milk on top. If desired, serve with sugar. The difference between latte and cappuccino is the ratio of milk to coffee.

Now that you know about the three speciality coffees, you only decision is which of the three you want to try first.

Carol

1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

I'm a latte person myself:) I love a French Vanilla or Irish Cream latte:)