Sunday, February 8, 2009

Valentine's Day Chocolate

Valentine's Day is approaching and as we all know, chocolate is a favorite for this holiday. Lately, I have been craving chocolate, more specifically a chocolate cake. I was at Walmart yesterday and they usually have a really delicious chocolate Bundt-style cake. But, no they didn't have one. It would easy if I had just bought a chocolate cake mix and frosting, but I wanted a really good chocolate cake and I had just the recipe at home. This has to be the most moist and rich chocolate cake I have ever had and the only one that I would even bother with making from scratch. It's a Coca-Cola cake and yes, there is Coca-Cola in both the cake and the icing. I haven't made my cake yet, but have in on the plan for next Saturday, Valentine's Day for me and my sweetie.
Coca-Cola Cake
2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 sticks margerine
2 eggs
3/4 c. buttermilk
2 T. cocoa
1 c. Coca-Cola
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
1 3/4 c. mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch cake pan.

Bring margarine, cocoa, and Coca-Cola to a boil. Add the flour and sugar and stir. Pour in buttermilk, eggs, soda, vanilla, and marshmallows. Mix well until marshmallows have melted. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cake cool before frosting.

Coca-Cola Cake Icing
1/4 c. margarine
1 1/2 T. cocoa
3 T. Coca-Cola
1/2 t. vanilla
Powdered sugar

Bring margarine, cocoa, and Coca-Cola to a boil. Add enough powdered sugar to make it a spreading consistency. Add the vanilla and mix well.

1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

Oooooh! LOVED this cake at Cracker Barrel! Thanks for the recipe, Carol!!!