Sunday, July 5, 2009

Harvesting the Garden

I canned green beans this morning. I didn't get as many as I had wanted, thanks to the rain. My husband had picked a bunch of beans earlier in the week, not thinking that I wouldn't have time to can until today. Many had to be thrown out because they had become too limp, or just not good enough to can. I must remember to remind him not to harvest the garden until late in the week. Oh yes, back to the rain. I was just putting my shoes on this morning to go and pick more beans when I heard the downpour. It rained all morning and now it's too wet to get into the garden. Oh well, there's always next weekend.

When doing home canning, I have to refer everyone to the Ball Company web site for proper instructions. I have a book that Ball company gave away for free that I got years before the internet was available. It gives instructions and recipes on preserving just about any food. You can also check your local library for books on canning.

Carol

p.s. I love hearing those jars "pop" indicating they have sealed.

No comments: