Saturday, July 18, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancakes


I have to be brief today. My mother and I are will be to a book swap today and she'll be here to pick me up soon. I've started a diet.... again.... yes again. You wouldn't think pancakes would be good for a diet to lose weight, but it depends on the pancakes and what you put on them.

This morning, I made whole wheat pancakes. Lots of fiber and very little fat, and that's a good combination. Most people put maple syrup on their pancakes, but honey can be just as good. From what I understand, both are about the same when dieting, but the amount makes the difference. If you make medium size pancakes, you can probably get by with about 2 tablespoons of syrup or honey and it will taste fine. The alternative would be to top your pancakes with fruit, preserves, or sugar-free syrup. Whichever you try, dieting or not, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Carol

Whole Wheat Pancakes

1 c. whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1 c. milk (1% if dieting)
3 large egg whites
2 t. oil (I used olive oil)
1 T. sugar or honey
1/4 t. vanilla
cooking spray

Mix all of the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and mix well until there are no more dry ingredients. Heat a large skillet on medium heat and spray lightly with cooking spray. Pour enough of the mixture to make a medium pancake. When the pancake starts to bubble, turn with a spatula. Continue cooking until done.

Top with fruit, preserves, honey, syrup, or your favorite topping.


2 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

Book swap? Count me in!

Cherie Henderson said...

Hi from a fellow Momwriter -- I'm always on the lookout for a new pancake. It's a weekend morning standard, so thanks!