Saturday, February 13, 2010

Chocolate Mousse for Valentine's Day

I really like snow, I do. But, three weekends in a row is just too much for me. They are predicting snow for tomorrow, Valentine's Day. I didn't have anything special planned since my husband has to work all day, so it's not like the snow is going to ruin anything. Except, if he has to drive home in a snow storm, he will not be a happy camper when he finally does get here. Oh well, I'll have a beer ready for him when he walks in the door to calm his nerves from the drive and all will be right again. lol

Today, I have a recipe from my cookbook, Masters & Disasters of Cooking, sold on the right side of this page. The first time I made this, I used the first recipe I found in a cookbook and it turned out terrible. Everything needed to be done quickly and I wasn't quick enough. I ended up with little balls of chocolate in my mousse instead of having a smooth and creamy dessert. I have since figured out a much easier way to make chocolate mousse and hope you will like it, too.

Have a great Valentine's Day.

Enjoy,
Carol

Chocolate Mousse
7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
7 egg yolks, beaten
2 T. sugar
1 pinch of salt
7 egg whites
1 1/4 C. heavy cream

Place chocolate in a double-boiler on the stove to melt. Stir occasionally until melted. Remove from heat and continue stirring until smooth. Set aside to let it cool slightly.

In a separate bowl, whip the heavy cream until medium stiff peaks form, but don't allow it to become grainy. Set that aside.

In another bowl, whip the egg whites with the pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in the sugar and continue whipping until medium peaks form. Fold in the eggs yolks. Then add the melted chocolate until completely mixed. Add the whipped cream until evenly blended. Spoon into dessert cups and chill until firm, about an hour. Serve. This makes about 10 servings.


1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

It was snowing like crazy earlier, but not sticking to the ground. My kind of snowstorm (grin!)

Chocolate mousse sounds and tastes yummy; however, I hate any recipe in which I have to separate the eggs. I'll let the pro's do that!