Saturday, February 20, 2010

Smoothies

I've recently got on a health kick. Not just with food, but I've started exercising. It's amazing how much better I feel after I've walked on the treadmill for 20 minutes. I can wait until the weather gets warmer and the snow melts so I can walk outside.

I've also tried something new that I have never fixed before, Smoothies. I've been looking for something that will take care of my cravings for sweets and drinking a smoothie does help a little. Normally, you wouldn't want to put sweetener in this drink because it is supposed to be healthy, but the ones that I have made need a little boost to help me with my craving.

A Smoothie can be made with just about any fruit and I have put a basic recipe below with three other recipes I have tried.


Basic Smoothie Recipe
1/4 C. fruit, chopped
1/4 C. liquid
1/2 C. thickener

The liquid can be regular or low-fat milk, fruit juices, or flavored water. Start with 1/4 C. and add more to desired consistency. For the thickener, you can choose from low-fat yogurt, low-fat frozen yogurt, frozen fruit concentrate, frozen fruit, or a cup of ice. Optional ingredients can include any flavor inhancer, such as sweentener, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, or instant coffee.

Chocolate Banana Smoothie
1 banana
1 T. chocolate syrup
1 C. low-fat milk
1 C. of crushed ice

Chop banana into four pieces and put into a blender. Add the chocolate syrup, milk, and crushed ice. Blend until smooth and pour into glasses. Makes two servings.

Banana Strawberry Smoothie
1 large banana
1 C. low-fat milk
1 C. low-fat vanilla yogurt
5 strawberries, cut into halves

Put all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Makes two servings.

Tropical Smoothie
1 banana
1 mango, peeled and cubed
8 oz. pineapple juice
4 oz. low-fat peach yogurt
1/2 t. lemon zest, finely grated
1/2 C. crushed ice

Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Garnish the glasses with orange or lime wedges. This makes at least two servings.

No comments: