Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beer Bread

It's raining today. I had hoped to finish planting my garden this weekend, but it wasn't meant to be. I already have onions and radishes sprouted and should be ready for eating soon. Yesterday, it was a race between the rain and I to see who would win. I'm going to call it a draw. I got 4 tomato plants in the ground right before the rain started. I still have beans, cucumber, zucchini, more onions, and I'd like to make one more trip back to the nearby nursery to see what else they have that I want. Hopefully, the ground will be dried out enough by next weekend to finish my planting.


Today, I want to share two recipes for the same item. I'm addicted to bread. Some of the old prison movies talk about being put on bread and water for punishment. That would definitely not be punishment for me. I could easily live on bread. This evening, to go with our supper, I am making Beer Bread. I usually bake it in the oven, but have found out that it works really well in a bread machine, too. There is one main difference, in the bread machine you need to use yeast instead of baking powder. I have included recipes for both baking options.

This is a great bread to serve with chili or any kind of soup, but it's also great to use with dips, or just plain toasted with butter. You can bake this in a round dish and then hollow out the middle to make a bread bowl. There is a restaurant near me that serves a chicken pot pie in a bread bowl and it is wonderful. Tonight, I am serving it with oven-baked chicken and baked potatoes.

It doesn't matter what kind of beer you use, but it should be room temperature. Last night, when I asked my husband for a can of his favorite beer, I felt like I was being interrogated by him. LOL After I explained what I was going to make, he released control of one can of beer. What is it with men and their beer? If you don't want to use a can of beer (or you can't get one from your husband), you can substitute ginger ale, or any type of lemon-lime soda.

Enjoy,
Carol

Beer Bread
3 C. all-purpose flour*
3 t. baking powder*
3 T. sugar
12 oz. beer, room temperature
1 stick butter, melted

By hand, stir together the dry ingredients and add the beer. Mix well, the batter will be lumpy. Pour the mixture into a greased 4x8 inch loaf pan and pour about 1/3 of the butter over the top of the mixture. Bake in a preheated oven to 375° f. for about 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes, pour half of the remaining melted butter on top of the bread and bake for 10 more minutes. Then, pour the rest of the melted butter on top of bread again and bake for the final 10 minutes.

*You can substitute 3 C. of self-rising flour for the all-purpose flour and baking powder, if you prefer.

Beer Bread for a Bread Machine

12 oz. can of beer, room temperature
2 T. olive oil
1 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar
3 C. all-purpose flour
1 packet active dry yeast

Add all of the ingredients into the bread machine in the order listed above. Set the machine on the Basic or White Bread cycle and push Start.

1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

LOL:) Make it bread and iced tea (sweet) and you've got a GREAT meal! Plus tons of real butter...honey butter or cinnamon butter:)