Sunday, May 30, 2010

Fresh Strawberry Pie

I have to be quick today. I have so much to do before going to my mom's for a family cookout. I talked last time about how I like to actually make something for my family rather than taking shortcuts like popping open a can and heat it up. Today, I am going to go back on that statement for one dish, fresh strawberry pie. I could go all Betty Crocker on here, but I confess I buy strawberry glaze instead of making it. However, if I should come into possession of a quart of strawberries and want to make a pie, I have a recipe for the glaze so I don't have to rush to the store. Of course, that assuming I have all the ingredients to make the glaze.

Before posting the recipe, I do want to take the time to wish everyone a safe Memorial Day. Please remember those servicemen and women who have served and are currently serving. They keep us safe by protecting our freedom. Thank you.

Carol

Fresh Strawberry Pie Glaze
1 lg. package Strawberry Jello
1/2 C. corn syrup
1 C. sugar
2 C. water
1 T. red food coloring
1/4 C. corn starch

Combine the cornstarch and 1/2 C. water to dissolve. Add that, along with the rest of the ingredients to a sauce pan and bring to boil. As it thickens, it will turn clearer. Cool and add the berries. Place mixture in a baked, but cooled pie shell. Cool in a refrigerator for at least an hour. Add whipped topping, if desired and serve.

No comments: