Saturday, June 12, 2010

English Muffin Breakfast Sandwich, Part 2

I want to add to the recipe that I posted last time by telling you that you can add an egg to the recipe, omit the tomato and you have a homemade version of the Egg McMuffin, almost like you get at McDonalds. By making it yourself, you control how much fat is it in, whether you want a whole egg or just egg whites, whether you want Canadian Bacon or regular bacon, and finally if you want to add cheese or not. Personally, I like to use a whole wheat muffin, when I can find them, in order to have a little extra fiber in the meal. That helps keep me from getting so hungry later.

These sandwiches are great to make ahead of time to keep in the freezer and eat on the go. Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray and break an egg into each section. You can leave the egg whole or scramble it, your choice. Bake for 12-15 minutes in a 350° f. oven. While the eggs are baking, slice the English Muffins and lay then sliced side up on a baking sheet. Remove the cupcake tin from the oven and set aside. Put the muffins in the over and bake for about 10 minutes or until they look toasted. You can also toast them in the toaster, if you are only making a small amount. Now it's time to assemble the muffins using the egg, some shredded or a slice of cheese, and Canadian Bacon or regular bacon. Season with salt and pepper, if you like.

If you have a big family of hearty eaters, you can eat them right then, or you can store these for later in the freezer. To freeze, place all of the sandwiches on a baking sheet, uncovered and unwrapped, and put them in the freezer. Yes, you heard me right. Leave them there for about an hour. That will give them the opportunity to give off some of their moisture. Now, you can wrap them in freezer wrap or foil and put them in freezer bags. I put two to a bag. These sandwiches will keep for about two weeks in the freezer.

To reheat, I would advise against using the microwave as it tends to make the sandwich soggy. But, if you're in a hurry and don't mind that, wrap it in a paper towel and give it a zap. The best way to reheat the sandwich, is to bake it in a 350° f. oven for about 25 minutes. When I do this, I put it in the oven and then go get ready for work. When I get back in the kitchen, the sandwich is ready. I can eat it while checking my email, or take with me to eat on the way to work.

Writing this has made me so hungry and it is time for breakfast, so I'm off to the kitchen to see if I have any in the freezer.

Carol

No comments: