Sunday, October 9, 2011

Butter Pound Cake

I have a Butter Pound Cake in the oven right now and it is already making the house smell good. Back in 2010, I wrote a post about Lemon Pound Cake saying that when I make it I use a cake mix with a box of pudding. This time, I'm making a Butter Pound Cake and using an easy recipe that I have which makes a wonderful cake from scratch. If you're on a diet, I wouldn't read any further. This one is rich. If the icing doesn't appeal to you, dusting the top of the cake with powdered sugar is another option.

If you look at my last post about Pound Cakes, you will see that you can use just about any type of pan. I normally use a Bundt pan, which is what is mentioned in the recipe below.

Butter Pound Cake
1 C. butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 C. sugar
5 eggs
2 C. flour
1 t. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 f. Grease and flour a Bundt pan, set aside. With a mixer, cream the butter, sugar, and vanilla together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg. Slowly add the flour a little at a time. Once the batter is mix thoroughly pour into the Bundt pan and bake for about an hour. Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Invert cake onto a plate. Let cake cool completely before applying icing below.

Powdered Sugar Icing
1/2 C. powdered sugar
1 T. butter, softened
1/2 t. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together and add boiling water a spoonful at a time until the mixture reaches the consistency to drizzle over the cake. Too thin and it will run off of the cake.

No comments: