Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Frying eggs


Last week, my mother and I went out to eat for breakfast to a nationally franchised restaurant. I won't say which one because we have gone to several restaurants and have had the same thing happen. Why can't chefs fry eggs the way we order them?

Mom and I usually order our eggs medium cooked. Without fail, the eggs still have the whites still runny. I can't stand eating eggs that are not done. This time though, we thought we would outsmart the cook and order our eggs well done. When the food came, Mom's eggs were so well done, they were unrecognizable as eggs. Seriously, I even said something to the waitress about Mom not getting her eggs. Mine on the otherhand, were not cooked well done, but rather medium. The waitress noticed this and said she would take them back. I said no, I would just eat them that way, hoping that maybe they would be okay. I was wrong. As soon as I cut them with my fork out ran the uncooked egg white. We learned our lesson and will probably order scrambled eggs from now on.

Both of us should have sent the eggs back, but who wants to wait any longer for their breakfast. I really shouldn't complain too much about over-cooked eggs. If any of you have read the story in my "Masters & Disasters" cookbook, you know I ruined eggs so bad once for my husband's breakfast that he took them to the trash can and pushed them in before even sitting at the table.

Below is the recipe on how to fry and eggs correctly.

Fried Eggs

2 eggs
1 T. butter

Melt butter (or margarine) in a skillet to medium heat. One at a time, break eggs into a small bowl and then pour into the skillet. For medium eggs, cook until the whites are set, then turn over and cook until the whites are set on that side and a film forms over the yolks, about 45 seconds to 1 minute.


No comments: