Sunday, August 16, 2009

An indoor picnic

The heat is unbearable outside, 90° temps and high humidity. For supper tonight, I decided to have an indoor picnic of Baked Beans, Macaroni and Cheese, corn on the cob, and hot dogs. I can't wait for my husband to get home from work so I can dig in.

I have made my baked beans and macaroni and cheese for so long, I no longer measure the ingredients. Both are just a "dump and stir" kind of dish now. I dump everything in and cook. For the purpose of my blog, I'll see if I can come up with at least close measurements.

Baked Beans with hot dogs

1 lg can or 2 small cans of pork & beans
about a 1/2 C. brown sugar
about a 1/4- 1/2 C. catsup

Dump all ingredients into the baking dish and stir. Put dish into the microwave, cover with wax paper, and cook on high for 10-15 minutes. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, place several hot dogs that have been pierced with a fork into the dish and finish cooking. Let cool slightly before serving.

Macaroni and Cheese
1 1/2 C. macaroni, cooked
1 C. Velvetta cheese, cut into small cubes
1- 1 1/2 C. milk

In pot on stove, combine all of the above ingredients. Cook on medium to high heat until cheese has melted. Stir constantly to keep from burning. Season with salt to taste and serve. My mother makes this same dish in the microwave by combining all ingredients and cooking on high until the cheese is melted.

Well, my husband just walked in and I am hungry. I hope you enjoy your indoor picnic.

Carol

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love macaroni and cheese and corn on the cob. It's sweltering in Florida, too. Maybe we'll have an indoor picnic.