Saturday, August 8, 2009

What to do with all these Zucchinis

It's zucchini time at our house. The harvest is coming in and the variety of ways to prepare them is challenging. In the past, I have made zucchini cake, zucchini bread, zucchini casserole, and fried zucchini. When my husband got home today, he brought in the biggest zucchini I have ever seen and told me that "we must have missed this one in the garden." For a split second, I believed him, then realized there was no way we would not have picked a zucchini before it got that big. He confessed that someone had brought several to work for anyone to take.

Honestly, it is really too big to slice and fry. The seeds alone would be huge. However, I think I can peel it and then remove the seeds, leaving just the meat, shred it, and put into zipper bags for the freezer. I'll have to check all my recipes for the right measurement before putting them into the bags, so I can have them pre-measured for certain recipes next winter.

Now, on to today's recipe, Baked Zucchini Sticks. It's a new one that I have tried and is actually very healthy, but don't tell the kids.



Baked Zucchini Sticks
2 medium size zucchinis
2 eggs
1/3 C. seasoned bread crumbs
2 T. grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 t. garlic powder
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425° f and spray a cooking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Peel and slice the zucchini into 3" x 1/2" sticks. In a small bowl, beat the eggs and set aside. In a shallow bowl mix together the bread crumbs Parmesan Cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Dip each stick into the beaten egg and then roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Place zucchini sticks onto a cookie sheet and sprayed them lightly with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with Ranch dressing, horseradish sauce, marinara sauce, salsa, or any favorite dipping sauce.

No comments: