Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Cake

There's a television commercial from a car dealer that's on my local channel where the announcer says, "It's hot, Don." Well, I have to agree with the announcer, but need to emphasize that it's DARN hot. I can't remember how many consecutive days of 90+ degree temperatures we have had, but it's been most of June and July. What worries me is that we still have August to go through yet. I've never been a fan of summer, I love winter instead. A friend of mine pointed out the other day when I said that on my facebook page, "I thought you didn't like winter driving." This is true, I don't like driving on slick roads, but in my reply I reminded my friend that's what my vacation days at work are for.

Okay, so what does that have to do with Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Cake? When it's this hot, neither my husband or I want to cook anything because it heats up the kitchen and the whole house. We actually skipped supper last night for that very reason. One solution to that problem is to use the microwave or your slow cooker to keep the heat down in the kitchen. Since I have been craving something sweet lately, I thought I would give everyone a dessert to prepare in your slow cooker. I wish I had an actual picture of this dish, because the one I found online isn't from this recipe, but it's the closest I could find. Believe me, it does not do it justice.


Slow Cooker Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding Cake

1 C. all-purpose flour
1/3 C. sugar
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 C. chocolate or white milk
2 T. cooking oil
2 t. vanilla
1/2 C. peanut butter chips
1/2 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 C. chopped peanuts (optional)
3/4 C. sugar
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 C. boiling water

Place a slow cooker liner into your crock, or spray the inside with non-stick cooking spray. In a bowl, stir together the flour, 1/3 C. sugar, 2 T. cocoa powder, and baking powder. Add the milk, oil, and vanilla. Mix well until the batter is smooth. Stir in the peanut butter chips, chocolate chips, and optional peanuts. Spread the batter evenly over the bottom of the crock.

For the pudding mix, in another bowl combine 3/4 C. sugar and the remain cocoa powder. Gradually add the boiling water and stir. Pour evenly over the batter in the crock. Cover, and cook on high for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until an inserted wooden toothpick comes out clean. Turn off cooker and let it stand for about 30 minutes before serving.

To serve, spoon the warm cake into dessert dishes and top with vanilla ice cream. Spoon the pudding mixture over the cake and ice cream.


**The next time I make this, I think I am going to try and use a chocolate cake mix instead of the other dry ingredients. If anyone tries this, let me know how it comes out.
Carol

No comments: