Saturday, April 11, 2009

Apple Pie with crumbled topping

I have been craving apple pie lately. It could be because my husband has fixed fried apples a few times in the last couple weeks. They were so good, but that's a recipe for another day. He isn't home right now and I don't know his special touch.

With Easter coming tomorrow, I decided to bake an apple pie, but I had a problem. I only have one frozen pie crust and no top crust. As much as I hate to make pie crust, I decided that I would bite the bullet (so to speak) and make the dough for a top crust. I've been known to make a pretty good crust every once in a while. I was telling my mom of my dilemma and she suggested making a pie with a crumble top. Perfect suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of it. So, on my agenda for today is to bake an apple pie and make a loaf of whole wheat bread in my bread machine, another craving I have been having lately.

Even though, I have a whole basket of apples sitting on my table, I'm going to cheat and use a can of apple pie filling for my pie, but below is my very easy recipe for the crumble topping.

Carol

Apple Pie Crumble Topping

3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c stick butter, softened but not melted

Combine the ingredients into a crumbly mixture with a pie pastry cutter or in a food processor. After placing apple pie filling into a crust, sprinkle a little sugar and cinnamon on top and then evenly cover pie with the Crumble Topping mixture. Bake pie according to recipe directions.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i had an apple pie craving the other day too! but instead of being great and baking one myself like you, i ran out to the nearest marie callender's and bought one, haha